CB (FAT TIRE) 40
We regret to inform you that this race will NOT be taking place this year. Two weeks prior to 6/26 we were alerted of a newly adopted special use permit for a portion of our course that was already approved. Given the timeframe in which we had to get it approved, it wasn’t an option. We looked into changing the course but again, could not get it approved in time with the other entities.
We feel this may be a sign of the times. Although we will do our best to bring the race back again next year, the new laws and regulations which seem to be more and more abundant are making it more difficult to put on events such as these in Crested Butte. We do hope this is not the case.
We apologize profusely for this sad news. We encourage those who had planned to come from out of town to continue with their plans, ride the course and enjoy a fun Crested Butte weekend. We will be providing FULL refunds to those who have registered already.
ALL riders will be entered into a raffle to win a pair of CUSTOM ROMP Skis (must finish to be entered into raffle)
The race took a hiatus in 2020 due to Covid and is now back in 2021, but potentially with some changes due to County restrictions at the time of the event. This event is a fundraiser for the gO Initiative and is sure to be a day on the bike you won’t forget. Race day is June 26, 2021 and circumnavigates Mt. Crested Butte on some of the best singletrack Crested Butte has to offer. JOIN US for a fun weekend of bicycle riding!
Registration is OPEN! Click below to register:
Friday June 25, 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm
gO Orthopedics, 433 Sixth St, Crested Butte
Mandatory Racer Meeting:
Saturday June 26 @ 7:45am (start/finish area, CBCS school)
Review of course, aid stations, safety measures on course
The Route (ORIGINAL FT40 Course!)
Strava Cue Sheet here: https://www.strava.com/routes/2783823961757448784/cue_sheet
- Neutral start (police escort) from CB Community School (service road; Whiterock up to 1st St; north on 1st; east on Elk Ave to Gothic Road
- Up Gothic Rd towards Mt CB- race starts after crossing Wash Gulch Rd turnoff– police car will speed up here
- Gothic Rd to Hunter Hill Rd (in Mt CB); Summit Rd to Upper Loop trailhead
- Upper Loop to Upper Decker/Bridges to Upper Upper Loop to Brush Creek Rd
- Brush Creek Road (738.2a) to Strand Hill climb
- Strand Hill singletrack (556)
- Strand Hill (556) to Canal Trail (408)
- Canal Trail (408) to Brush Creek Rd (738.2a)
- Brush Creek Rd (738.2a) to Deer Creek Trail (568)
- Deer Creek Trail (568) to Gothic Rd (317)
- Gothic Rd (317) to Meander (CBMR/Snodgrass trailhead)
- Meander Trail/Primer to Old West Side Trail
- Old West Side Trail to West Side Trail
- West Side Trail to Happy Hour
- Happy Hour to Upper Loop
- Upper Loop to Tony’s Trail
- Down Tony’s Trail to town
- South on 9th avenue (left hand turn)
- FINISH at CB Community School
There will be a neutral start at out of Crested Butte Community School at 8:00 AM. Official race starts when police escort turns off at Slate River Road.
There will be two aid stations fully stocked with water, energy bars and energy drink. Please note, you will have to fill up your own water bottle.
- Aid station #1 (mile 14) – West Brush Creek Road, exit from Strand Hill
- Aid Station #2 (mile 30) – Gothic Road, before left turn onto Meander
Saturday June 26, 2021
- 8:00 am – Race Start, CBCS
- 2:00 pm – Awards (TBA, closer to the race as Covid restrictions allow)
Awards & Beer
$2000 Cash Purse (top three male + female)
Awards Ceremony TBD – based on current Covid requirements
Directions, Parking and Shuttles
The start and finish will take place at the Crested Butte Community School.
From Denver- From Denver International Airport, take interstate 70 west, exit to highway 470 west, highway 285 south to Fairplay then Poncha Springs, highway 50 west to Gunnison, then highway 135 north into Crested Butte.
From Montrose- Take highway 50 east to Gunnison, then highway 135 north into Crested Butte
Parking There will be parking at CB Community School, or at the 4way stop. Race will start and end at CBCS, so please plan accordingly.
Gunnison County is currently in BLUE status.
Details can be found here: https://covid19.gunnisoncounty.org/community-resources/public-health-orders/
We will update this page and send updates as things progress in Gunnison County. We may need to enact wave starts and/or make other changes. For now we are psyched to be able to bring this race back!