Located at Hartman Rocks Recreation Area in Gunnison, Colorado, the ROMP in the Rocks Ride + Run races will be timed lap events for solo-ists, duos, or teams wishing to test their stamina for 10 hours of riding, running or both on some of the best singletrack that Gunnison Valley has to offer.
The races will start and finish at the base area of Hartman Rocks. The mountain bike course will be about 12.7 miles in length, with 2,001 ft of elevation gain and will feature some technical singletrack and lots of flowy downhills. The run course also contains about 2k of elevation gain and is open to all levels and all adventurers; however this is not a course to be taken lightly. Please be sure you are well equipped, well-trained and very well prepared for all types of weather. There will be no aid stations, so please come prepared with water, food and any other types of self support!
ROMP in the Rocks directly benefits the gOgirls and gOguys programs under the gO Initiative umbrella. All proceeds for this race will help the gO Initiative fulfill its mission by keeping kids and adults healthy and active physically and mentally.
All racers (ride + run) get a chance to win a pair of ROMP Skis with entry!
There will be a “10 minutes in the rocks” kid’s bike race during the afternoon – more info to come.
WHO: Test yourself as a sole competitor or team up with 1, 2, 3 or 4 people to see how many laps you can get in 10 hours
WHAT: 10 hours of singletrack through Gunnison’s Hartman Rocks
WHERE: Hartman Rocks Recreation Area in Gunnison, CO
WHEN: SATURDAY OCT 5th , 2019 (both ride & run races start @ 7:00am)
Jacks, Tailpipe, Top of the World, Graceland, Gateway, Luge, Rocky Ridge, Becks, Collarbone Alley..
Online Map of course below HERE
The running course will follow a different alignment from the mountain biking course. We are confirming the run course; for now, the lap will consist of the following trails (map coming soon):
- V Drop
- Ring Dyke
- Ring Dyke Road
- V Drop
Registration & Awards
Online Registration will open June 1, 2019 and close at 8:00 pm on Thursday, October 3rd, 2019. No registrations past Thursday evening.
Bib Pick Up:
- Friday, October 4th: 4pm-6pm at gO Orthopedics Offices (104 W Ruby Ave, Gunnison)
Ride & Run Race Time:
- Saturday, day of race 7:00am **No racer will be allowed to start a new lap after 4:00 pm**
Dinner & Awards:
- Dinner will be served starting at 5:00pm, with libations from Upslope Brewery
- Awards will be presented at 5:30pm, Hartman Rocks Base Area
Race Fees (any combination ride/run)
$100: Solo rider or runner
$180: Duo team (riders or runners or combo)
- Female duo
- Male duo
- Coed duo
$350: Adult Team of 3-4 (male/female/coed)
- Female only team
- Male only team
- Coed team
$250: Family (at least 3 members of the same family)
$200: Youth Team of 3-4 youth ages 18 and under
- Racers may choose to ride/run in any order; however, ride/run combination teams MUST alternate.
- Racers must check-in after each lap.
- Each team member must complete at least one lap or the team will be disqualified.
- Coed teams must have at least 1 member of the opposite sex.
- Racers must display their race number on their bike at all times.
- Teams are required to provide their own hydration system and lighting system throughout the event.
- No course support will be provided by the event.
- Water and food may be supplied to any racer, at the transition area, as long as the racer and support is off the course and does not interfere with the race. Interference with other racers will result in disqualification.
- Lapped racers must yield. Please be vocal as it’s the responsibility of the challenging racer to overtake safely. Racers being lapped must yield as soon as safely possible.
- Short-cutting the course is not allowed. This will result in immediate disqualification.
- Order of finish is determined by number of laps, then by time.
- One person must be designated as the Captain of the team to ensure the team is registered correctly (information is correct), and to deal with event officials in the event of problems or concerns.
- The event director has final say in any ruling, including rulings made by staff/volunteers.
- Additional rules or changes may be added as questions arise, so please continue to check this site for updates. Captains will receive a set of rules at check-in.
- For safety reasons, the event reserves the right to cancel or change a portion of the course if inclement weather or dangerous conditions exist. If cancelled, final results will be based on completed laps at the time the event was called. Minimum Age Requirement: All participants under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian sign the waiver. Additionally, all participants under the age of 18 must have a parent, legal guardian, or designated person present on site for the duration of the event. Participants must be a minimum of 10 years of age.
- In the case of catastrophic failure due to weather or another extenuating circumstances that prevents the ongoing scoring of the event or creates a racing environment that is deemed too dangerous for the participants, the race may be called as of a certain time. Final results will be calculated in one of two ways as determined by the Race Director.(1) The race will be considered over at the point it was called and the results will be taken from the last completed lap. (2) The riders will be allowed to finish their current lap after the point the race is called and those results will be taken as final. In the case that the race is stopped and restated, the combined results of both parts of the race will be used.
Past Results: 2017 RESULTS
Refund & Cancellation Policy
Full refunds are available until August 31, 2019 at 11:59 pm. Refunds will only be granted if we receive an email at email@example.com prior to this date and time.
We will refund you 50% of your entry fee up until September 15, 2019. There will be no refunds after September 15, 2019.
Safety for our racers and volunteers is our number one priority. Therefore the director reserves the right to delay, shorten or even cancel the event. There is also the possibility that the Bureau of Land Management can cancel the race if the trail conditions could lead to irreparable damage to the trail or safety issues. There will be no refunds in the event of race cancellation.