2018 Romp In the Rocks has been postponed to 2019..
See you next year!!
2017 Recap video, courtesy of Steve Ogden
More kids on bikes is what we’re all about! ROMP in the Rocks directly benefits the gO Girls and gO Guys programs. Race for your chance to win a pair of ROMP Skis too!!
Located at the infamous Hartman Rocks Recreation Area, this race will be a timed lap event for solo-ists, duos, or teams wishing to test their stamina for 12 hours riding some of the best singletrack that Gunnison Valley has to offer.
The race will be based out of the base area of Hartman Rocks, and the course itself will be about 12.7 miles in length, with 2,001 ft of elevation gain and will feature Hartman’s best trails, including some technical singletrack and lots of flowy downhills. Most importantly, all proceeds for this race will gO towards helping the gO Initiative fulfill its mission by keeping kids and adults healthy and active physically and mentally. Win win!!
WHO: Test yourself as a sole competitor or team up with 1, 2, 3 or 4 people to see how many laps you can get in 12 hours
WHAT: 12 hours of singletrack through Gunnison’s Hartman Rocks
WHERE: Hartman Rocks Recreation Area in Gunnison, CO
WHEN: SATURDAY SEPT 29, 2018 (race start @ 7:00am)
Jacks, Tailpipe, Top of the World, Graceland, Gateway, Luge, Rocky Ridge, Becks, Notch, Backbone.. Online Map of course below HERE
Registration & Awards
**Online Registration closes at 8:00 pm on Thursday, September 27. No registrations past Thursday evening.
- Friday, September 28: 4pm-6pm at gO Orthopedics Offices (104 W Ruby Ave, Gunnison)
- Saturday, day of race 7:00am **No racer will be allowed to start a new lap after 6:00 pm**
DINNER + AWARDS
- Dinner will be served starting at 6:00pm, with libations from Upslope Brewery
- Awards are on Saturday, day of race at 7:00pm, Hartman Rocks Base Area
$100: solo rider
$200: duo team
$350: Team of 3-4 (male/female/coed)
$250: FAMILY (at least 3 members of the same family)
$200: Team of 3-4 youth ages 18 and under
- Racers may choose to run in any order and may change the order at any time.
- Racers may continue on for more than 1 lap but must check-in after each lap.
- Each team member must complete at least one lap or the team will be disqualified.
- Coed teams must have at least 1 member of the opposite sex.
- Racers must display their race number on their bike at all times.
- Teams are required to provide their own hydration system and lighting system throughout the event.
- No course support will be provided by the event.
- Water and food may be supplied to any racer, at the transition area, as long as the racer and support is off the course and does not interfere with the race. Interference with other racers will result in disqualification.
- Lapped racers must yield. Please be vocal as it’s the responsibility of the challenging racer to overtake safely. Racers being lapped must yield as soon as safely possible.
- Short-cutting the course is not allowed. This will result in immediate disqualification.
- Order of finish is determined by number of laps, then by time.
- One person must be designated as the Captain of the team to ensure the team is registered correctly (information is correct), and to deal with event officials in the event of problems or concerns.
- The event director has final say in any ruling, including rulings made by staff/volunteers.
- Additional rules or changes may be added as questions arise, so please continue to check this site for updates. Captains will receive a set of rules at check-in.
- For safety reasons, the event reserves the right to cancel or change a portion of the course if inclement weather or dangerous conditions exist. If cancelled, final results will be based on completed laps at the time the event was called. Minimum Age Requirement: All participants under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian sign the waiver. Additionally, all participants under the age of 18 must have a parent, legal guardian, or designated person present on site for the duration of the event. Participants must be a minimum of 10 years of age.
- In the case of catastrophic failure due to weather or another extenuating circumstances that prevents the ongoing scoring of the event or creates a racing environment that is deemed too dangerous for the participants, the race may be called as of a certain time. Final results will be calculated in one of two ways as determined by the Race Director.(1) The race will be considered over at the point it was called and the results will be taken from the last completed lap. (2) The riders will be allowed to finish their current lap after the point the race is called and those results will be taken as final. In the case that the race is stopped and restated, the combined results of both parts of the race will be used.
Refund & Cancellation Policy:
Full refunds are available until August 31, 2018 at 11:59 pm. Refunds will only be granted if we receive an email at molly@thegOinitiative.org prior to this date and time.
We will refund you 50% of your entry fee up until September 1, 2018. There will be no refunds after September 1, 2018.
Safety for our racers and volunteers is our number one priority. Therefore the director reserves the right to delay, shorten or even cancel the event. There is also the possibility that the Bureau of Land Management can cancel the race if the trail conditions could lead to irreparable damage to the trail or safety issues. There will be no refunds in the event of race cancellation.